Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Digital Literacy


After plotting my use of digital technologies over the week, I have found that I don’t use technology for much other than communication, school, and reading news. My technological resources include a laptop computer, an I-pad, and a smart phone, each of which I use on a daily bases. I have learned that when I am using my laptop, I am checking mail, reading news from NPR, visiting blackboard for any updates on class information, and doing homework. Most of the time spent on my computer is spent reading the news. The I-pad I use is very convent for email communications. In fact, I find it so convent that it has become my main source for email. I occasionally play games, check out some new apps or surf the web, but email is my main use of this item. Even though I have a smart phone, I have noticed that I really don’t use it form much. I make phone calls to family, and answer texts from family as well. Occasionally checking my bank account information or an email is the entire web I use.

After considering how I use the web, and assuming my students will be more excited about the use of social networking, which I do once a month maybe, I have come up with some ways that my students and I can use the web. I plan to encourage students to peruse reading news articles related to science in my classroom. A group on Facebook can be utilized so that students can communicate with one another about any homework questions and comments they may have. The students will also have access to one of my emails for any questions on homework or the class that they might have.

1 comment:

  1. YOu have some good ideas for incorporating the use of digital media, even if they are at odds with some of your own personal uses of media.

    ReplyDelete